Saturday, January 1, 2011

Ikea Cover Bag

I got the idea for this bag from Made.  Made is the most amazing site ever.  I love the ideas that Dana shares on her blog.  I have been wanting to make one of these bags for a while.  When Indra's birthday came around, I knew that now was the perfect time!  Indra always spends the weekend with her boyfriend Ron in Santa Cruz.  So... I thought this would be a good idea to provide her with a weekend bag. 
I love to reuse fabric and find it to be a lot cheaper to buy thinks like furniture and pillow covers, sheets, and used clothing to sew with.  One of my favorite places to go is Ikea's "As Is" section.  Several months ago, I got a huge bag of pillow and cushion covers for $3 as well as a complete white couch cover for $20. 
For this project, I picked out a black and white pillow cover with a zipper as the body of the bag.  I then used part of the couch cover to make the handles and the tie at the top.  This adorable weekend bag took only 3 hours to complete.  I am going to have to keep this in mind the next time I need a gift quick! :)

Here is how it turned out:



No comments:

Post a Comment